Door County Guide’s Favorite Things To Do
It is getting to be that time of year again! That time to start thinking about and planning summer vacations! We hope that you are all getting as excited as we are at Door County Kayak Tours and Cave Point Paddle & Pedal about the thought of the summer sun and playing on Lake Michigan. Door County holds as one on Wisconsin’s best vacation hot spots, and for good reason. Once summer weather hits, Door County becomes rich with recreation, music, fine restaurants, wine and beer, and much more places to visit. Summers always seem to be especially short in Door County. Despite Door County being a relatively small vacation area, there a plenty of gems missed. Here are a few recommendations to get you started on your way to planning.
Restaurants: Door County has amazing eateries for all! The food is crazy good, everywhere. There are so many places that it’s hard to pick the best but here are just a few of the must mention list.
- Wild Tomato (Fish Creek/Sister Bay)- My personal favorite. If you really like pizza, or even like it a little bit, you must visit here. There pizza is simply amazing. All wood baked and if you are able to go at the right time, you can catch an amazing sunset right over the bay making the experience even more magical. Unbiased recommendation.
- The Fireside Restaurant (Ellison Bay)- Amazing food all around. A great restaurant that specializes in southwest style foods. Tasty dishes and salads. Also highly recommend!
- Bluefront Café (Sturgeon Bay)- This place has it all! Sandwiches, burgers, fish tacos.. can’t go wrong with anything! Delicious food and right on your way before you start heading up the peninsula or on your way out of the county.
- Door County Creamery (Sister Bay)- Cream of the crop! The creamery makes this place a must when go to when visiting. Their food is also amazing and the desert on top of it sets this place as one of the county’s best.
- Al Johnson’s Swedish Restaurant (Sister Bay)- Swedish meatballs! Really neat place to check out. Amazing authentic Swedish recipes with lots of options for a customer. Also.. there’s goats on the roof if you go at the right time.
- The Tin Plate (Valmy)- A shout out the this place! As a Door County Kayak Tour guide, I spent much time at this place after work and ate my share of portabella sandwiches. It’s just south of Whitefish Dunes State Park and a great small place!
Winery: Wine is huge in Door County, so if you are wine drinkers, this is the place to go. Here are a few to get you started on you wine exploration.
- Lautenbach’s Orchard Country (Fish Creek)
- Simon Creek Vineyard & Winery (Sturgeon Bay)
- Door Peninsula Winery (Sturgeon Bay)
- Stone’s Throw Winery (Egg Harbor)
- Red Oak Winery (Sturgeon Bay)
- Door 44 (Sturgeon Bay)
- For beer lovers: Door County Brewery (Bailey’s Harbor)- great beer with live music! Also spent much time here after kayaking.
Recreation and Places to Visit: If you’re just looking for something to do for the day other than spending the day boating, there is plenty!
- Door County Kayak Tours.. of course! Check out all of our Door County Tours(Fish Creek & Jacksonport)
- The Farm (Sturgeon Bay)- Family fun for all! They have animals of all sort to feed and get up close with. The goats are my favorite.
- State Parks:
- Potawatomi State Park (Sturgeon Bay)- The park offers great hiking trails as well as a gorgeous sunset view over the bay.
- Whitefish Bay State Park/Cave Point County Park (Sturgeon Bay)- This is the place to be! The parks are connected, offering lots of shoreline to explore with a beach and cliff jumping. You can explore the caves with Door County Kayak Tours as well!
- Peninsula State Park (Fish Creek)- Another gem in Door County. This State park has it all, camping, beaching, golfing, hiking, and exploring leaving you with overlooking views of the bay.
- Rock Island State Park– Keep heading north to check out this place. Make a day out of it and jump on a ferry to cross Death’s Door to Washington Island and then Rock Island.
There is so much to explore in Door County and we highly recommend you start planning your trip soon! Hope this helps with your planning a little. There is something or everyone. Let’s get excited for the summer weather to be here. Hope to take you out on the water this upcoming summer!